St. Peter the Fisherman History
1940 - 1965
Early 1940’s Rev. Benjamin Schuldheisz served the Lincoln City area.
Mid 1940’s Rev. John Wirth served the Lincoln City area. At the time families met in members homes. Later Rev. Simon served the growing congregation.
1950 - 1954 Worship services conducted at Delake, Oregon at what would become the Bateman Funeral Home (presently the Eventuary) by Rev. George Mathiasen from Trinity Lutheran Church in Sheridan, Oregon.
Mid 1950’s - 1962 The congregation continued to slowly grow continuing to meet in the afternoons at the Bateman Funeral Home with services led by the pastor from All Nations Lutheran Church in Newport, Oregon.
1964 Arranged with St. James Episcopal Church to use their facilities in the afternoon with Bible study and Sunday school held before services with Rev. Mervin Kellerman serving the congregation.
1965 Rev. Adam Lautenschlager served All Nations Lutheran Church and the mission church at Lincoln City from Salem, Oregon. Earlier in the year the church purchased St. James Episcopal Church’s old sanctuary (our current Fellowship Hall) when they moved in to their new sanctuary along with two adjoining lots. The congregation then started holding morning worship services. St. John’s Lutheran Church in Portland generously gave us some altar furnishings.
1966 - 2001
1966 On August 28, 1966 the church was rededicated; Lay Assistant Clyde Sloan conducted services on non-communion Sundays. During 1966 the church chose the name St. Peter the Fisherman Lutheran Church based on Luke 5:10.
By 1967 there were 20 families in the congregation. January 1967, the ladies of the congregation became part of the Lutheran Women’s Missionary League (LWML). This same year the first rummage sale and fall bazaar were planned.
April 16, 1967 Congregation held an organizational meeting to establish St. Peter the Fisherman. During the meeting a constitution was adopted and officers elected.
February 1968 - 1981 Rev. Ronald Zagel accepted a divine call to be the pastor for three parishes on the Oregon coast (Newport, Toledo, and Lincoln City). He was installed on March 24, 1968. Pastor “Pete” helped St. Peter grow during the years that followed in numbers and spirituality.
1970’s During the Vietnam War years the LWML sent packages of socks and drink mixes to the troops, a new electronic organ was purchased. By 1980 there were 57 families with 25 children attending St. Peter the Fisherman.
1981 - 2001 This year saw the first full-time pastor for St. Peter the Fisherman. The congregation called Rev. Larry Rohlfing. He along with his wife Carol and son Paul were warmly welcomed. The 1980’s saw rapid growth of the congregation. During Pastor Larry’s tenure there was a building boom. November 1983 saw the dedication of the multi-purpose building and the building of a new 4000 sq foot sanctuary. In April 1987 the sanctuary was dedicated. In 1992 more property fronting Highway 101 was purchased, and grew to a whole city block. The church erected a large activity building, with a basketball court and several class rooms, for all types of activities including scouting, community choirs, county community services, etc.
In September 2001, Rev. Larry Rohlfing retired after 20 years of ministry
2001 The congregation then called Rev. Steve Waterman to serve as pastor. He led the congregation developing a community Bible study program (CABS). He served us for about five years when he accepted another call. The congregation was served by a vacancy pastor for about a year.
2007 St. Peter called Rev. Geoffrey Wagner to serve as pastor. His time with us short and St. Peter was again in a period of vacancy that lasted until 2012.
2012 St. Peter called Rev. James Kyes to serve as pastor. He was installed June 2012 and is currently serving the congregation and the community of Lincoln City.
The original sanctuary on the left,
office/multipurpose in the middle,
and the octagon sanctuary addition on the right; holds about 185.
Activity building is the white square, lower right
Parking has about 70 spaces.